Image Map

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Adventures in Life: Happy Pi Day!

No, I did not forget the "E" in the title of today's post. 
Today is Pi Day!
March 14th
3-14
3.14
As in π
Think back to math class...
I know you may have tried hard to forget math class...
You got it!? 

I LOVE celebrating Pi Day...mostly because I am kinda a math nerd. I just love numbers and how they make such great patterns, or in the case of π a number that never ever makes a pattern! 

3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 5028841971

I shared some ideas on how to celebrate Pi Day last year on THIS POST.

This year I thought I would just give a little refresher on what the number of Pi (π) is, just so you can feel extra smart today!

*Pi is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and is approximately equal to 3.14159.

* \pi = \frac{C}{d} 

*The area of a circle is A = πrCan you remember what the r stands for? (radius, which is the distance from the center of the circle to the edge.)

*The symbol (Greek letter “π”)  A ‘p’ was chosen for ‘perimeter’ of circles, and was first used in 1706 by William Jones.

*Pi has been calculated to over one trillion digits passed its decimal by computers. 

And a fun fact that I just learned today
3.14 written backwards spells PIE
(Mind blown! Right?!

So use this post to justify having a big slice of pi(e) today! 
Happy Pi Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment