Image Map

Monday, January 23, 2012

Adventures in Faith: East to West

Last year Daniel and I decided to participate in the mentoring program at our church. We were matched up with a fantastic couple who live just a few blocks away from us. We meet every few weeks and right now we are reading Max Lucado's new book God's Story Your Story. (Side note: I LOVE Max Lucado's books! I actually started reading his kids books first, and should do some review of them. They are FANTASTIC! This grown-ups Max Lucado book is great for a small group or a Bible study because it has conversation questions in the back for each chapter.) 


This past week we were reading our chapter and this verse along Max Lucado's insight about it just popped off the page and I cant stop marveling at God's greatness and perfection in choosing each word written in the Bible! 


Lucado used the following to words to explain this seemingly simple Bible verse: 


"How far is the east from the west? Further and further by the moment. Travel west and you can make laps around the globe and never go east. Journey east and, if you desire, maintain an easterly course indefinitely. Not so with the other two directions. If you go north or south, you'll eventually reach the North or South Pole and change directions. But east and west have no turning points. Neither does God. When he sends your sins to the east and you to the west, you can be sure of this: He doesn't see you in your sins. His forgiveness is irreversible." Max Lucado, God's Story, Your Story


Wow! The words "as far as the East is from the West" suddenly mean so much more than just 2 directions! God picked those two directions, East and West, on purpose. Think about it, when David wrote this Psalm, no one knew the world was round. North was north, and West was west. In their minds you could go north forever. Going North until you reached the North Pole and then you are going South was not even a thought to them. But God knew that the directions in this verse would matter in 2012. He knew that us humans would figure out that the Earth He created was actually round. He picked East and West on purpose to illustrate just how far He was removing our sin from us. I am continually amazed my God's word and how much I have to still learn. But one thing I do know, I am so thankful God has removed my sins from me 'as far as the East is from the West'! 


In other news, my Gluten Free Apple Crisp was featured on Serendipity and Spice as one of the top 3 clicked on links from last Monday's link party! Check it out



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading Max Lucado as well!
    I'll have to check out his new book....it sounds really good.

    I'm very thankful that you and Daniel have such a fantastic couple so close by to mentor you = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you started blogging. You have so much to offer! I enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete