Image Map

Monday, July 6, 2015

Adventures in Gluten Free Cooking: Black and Blue Cobbler

I may have mentioned before that Daniel is not a huge dessert fan. Most meals he would rather have a little more meat or an extra scoop of potatoes in stead of dessert. The exceptions to that preference are cheesecake, apple crisp, and any kind of cobbler. Last week in our CSA box we received some black raspberries and I decided to use them in a cobbler. I did not have quite enough black raspberries (could have been because I had been snacking on them!) so I added some blueberries and the realized that I had myself the makings of a "Black and Blue Cobbler"...which in the picture looks kinda like purple! 


The recipe is super simple, gluten free, and dairy free. 

For the filling all you need is:
1 pint black raspberries
1 pint blueberries
1/3 c. sugar
a pinch of lemon zest

Mix all filling ingredients together and place in the bottom of a greased baking dish - as you can see I used a pie dish.

For the crust all you need is:
1 egg
1/3 c. brown sugar
6 T. unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 c. almond milk (you could substitute any kind of milk - dairy or non-dairy)
1 c. gluten free flour mix (I made my own with 1/2 c. white rice flour, 1/4 c. tapioca starch, 1/4 c. potato starch) 
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon

Mix egg and brown sugar together until combined. Add melted butter and milk. Mix. Add all dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon over the berries, making sure to evenly distribute the batter over the surface of the berries. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until the top of the cobbler is slightly brown. Remove from oven and serve warm with ice cream (we found a new favorite dairy free ice cream - it's made from cashew milk!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment