Image Map

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Adventures in Life: Before There Was The Pioneer Woman...

Over Thanksgiving weekend we got to visit my Grandpa Seger in Minnesota. It has been nearly 6 months since my Grandma Seger passed away and my sweet Grandpa is getting along as well as could be expected for someone who lost the person he spent the last 60+ years with.

I got to go threw some boxes with him and he gave me a few things that were my Grandma's. I was just barely able to hold it together, seeing so many things that remind me of her. I got a few Christmas decorations that I will be putting up, and a some odds and ends that I want to share with you.

One thing that I discovered was this little book
It is an annual cook book publication from a radio station  in Iowa. Every afternoon from 3:30 - 4:30 they had a segment called "Your Neighbor Lady" and for 64 years Wynn Speece (a.k.a the Neighbor Lady) spoke to the women in a 5 state area about recipes, cooking tips, cleaning ideas, and basically whatever the women of the area would want to hear. 

As I was reading this little cook book, I realized that this "Your Neighbor Lady" woman was the original Pioneer Woman! Like before the internet and blogs were invented! She was sharing tips and ideas via radio waves just as so many of us share our tips ideas via photos and blogs. She had her readers submit recipes for the annual cookbook as well as their different tips and tricks for things around the house.
The tips were interesting and some I think are very useful...and others were just funny!
She even had contests and giveaways on her radio program! And in the cookbook there was a section of letters written by the listeners to the Neighbor Lady. Ok, I know, I am a history nerd - I just can't help it! I am totally fascinated with the Neighbor Lady! 

Have you ever heard of her before? 

6 comments:

  1. How cool is this? I love talking about baking and learning tips and tricks from other bakers to make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how interesting but I have never heard of her, but this post made me think about the old Betty Crocker Cookbook that I began my married life with. Oh, my, a tad bit different than The Pioneer Woman for sure. Cute entry my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of her, but I totally see what you mean! I think facebook is like the original party line on the telephone. When I was little, we had several people on our phone "line". Whenever anyone on our line was talking, you could pick up the phone and hear everything that was being said. Isn't that wild?! Just like on fb today, you had to be careful what you shared with the world because you never knew who might be listening. There really is nothing new under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a completely awesome thing to have.

    Fannie Flag had Neighbor Dorothy and her radio show in a few of her books - the character was modeled after the real Your Neighbor Lady.

    Cherish this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that is so cool! I've never heard of the Neighbor Lady, but now I might have to google her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I really enjoy your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! I realize you have more than 200 followers, but I thought you deserved it! For more details, see...

    http://www.agratefulheart-ashley.blogspot.com/2012/12/ive-been-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete