Image Map

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Spaghetti Sauce

When I have time, there are many items that I like to make myself rather than buy at the store. Granola bars, taco seasoning, chicken and or vegetable broth...the list goes on. Today I want to share with you my super simple recipe for spaghetti sauce. I like to make a large batch (the recipe that follows makes a generous batch) and freeze smaller portions for quick and easy dinners later. So without further adieu...
Super Simple Spaghetti Sauce
(oh, yeah, and it is gluten free!)
Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
2 c onion chopped
1 c green/yellow/orange pepper chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 T oregano
1 T parsley
1 T season salt
1 T basil
2 T garlic powder
1 t sea salt




Add chopped onion and pepper to cooked ground beef in the pot. 
You can use whatever kind of tomatoes you would like. I used a mix of crushed, stewed and diced tomatoes. Some day I would love to have a garden to grow and can my own tomatoes... But for now these are from Aldi.
You can let it simmer as long as you would like - the longer you cook it, the better the flavor is! I let mine go for about 2 hours on medium/low heat, stirring every once and a while (whenever I remember). I covered it for the first hour, and then turned the heat a little lower and cooked it uncovered for the second hour.
 This next step is totally optional. My hubby likes sauce that is not so chunky, so I use this


We LOVE our stick blender and use it all the time! Just stick it in the pot (make sure it is all the way under in the sauce or else you will have a huge mess to clean up!) and blend away...


I freeze the leftovers for quick and easy dinners in the future.
Homemade spaghetti sauce on quinoa pasta with parmesan cheese and a GF Breadstick.

7 comments:

  1. That's close to my sauce recipe -- I add a few more veggies. I'm with you, I always make my own sauce. The longer it cooks the better it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me soo hungry! I'm on a fruit and veggie juice fast. I can only drink fruits and veggies, 3 times a day. I'm starving! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a genius. I've never thought of using a stick blender, I always just cook the sauce down until it falls apart. That is such a time saver since my husband hates to see anything chunky in his sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of tomatoes from a can, because I don't like chunks of them in sauce... I love the fact that you used the blender to remedy the issue. I now have a reason to stock up and make my own.

    Thanks for linking up to Pomp Party this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…Have a wonderful Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to try a good homemade spaghetti sauce! I love that this one has peppers in it!

    ReplyDelete