Image Map

Friday, September 6, 2013

Adventures in Reading: The Prayer Box by: Lisa Wingate



When I first picked up this book, I did not enjoy Lisa Wingate's style of writing, but as I kept reading I started to really started to appreciate her style. Wingate takes her time telling the story, giving detailed descriptions of people, places, and feelings of the characters. Her detail allows the reader to get to know the main character as well as those around them. In The Prayer Box, the main character, Tandi, was very likable and Wingate's writing really made me root for Tandi as she struggled take care of her children and make a new life in a new town.  

After a few chapters I fell in love with this story, and I didn't want the book to end! Tandi and her 2 children are renting a house on the property of an elderly woman. When the woman passes away, Tandi is tasked with the job of cleaning out her house. And she a wonderful discovery. Boxes of letters, written by the elderly woman, Iola Anne. In Iola Anne's letters to her Father we see what life was like for her growing up in the early 1900's. As Tandi reads box after box, the life of a faithful woman of God is revealed. Her deep relationship with her Father is displayed for the reader. I enjoyed how Tandi learned from Iola's experiences even after her death.  At the beginning of the story, Tandi's character just made my heart hurt. Wingate's description of her struggles because of past choices and situations was just so sad...I almost stopped reading because it was pretty depressing. But the growth in Tandi's character quickly became my favorite aspect of this story.


After reading this book, I am inspired to start my own prayer box! Do you do anything like that? 

I have received a free copy of this book from Tyndale in exchange for my review. All thoughts are my true and honest opinion. 


1 comment:

  1. Always on the lookout for a good book with characters I can care about! The last couple of books I read, the main characters were not likable at all.

    ReplyDelete