Image Map

Friday, May 25, 2012

Adventures in Gluten Free Cooking: Crepes

We love breakfast food in our house! So it has been quite the adventure finding new gluten free recipes for our favorite breakfast foods. One dish that has been particularly tricky is crepes. Here is the recipe that has been working the best for me!
Ingredients: 
3 c. milk 
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla extract 
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
3 T honey
1 t. gelatin 
2 cups gluten free baking mix 
    * I use my own mix for this of 1/3 cup of all of the following: white rice flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, corn starch, tapioca starch, and potato starch (if you add it all up you get 2 cups). But I am sure any gluten free flour mix you have on hand will work just fine. 


1) In one bowl mix all wet ingredients together well.
2) In a separate bowl mix and sift together all dry ingredients.
3) Using a whisk, slowly add dry ingredients into wet, mixing until all the lumps are out. The batter will be thicker than milk, but thiner than pancake batter. 
4) Heat a non-stick fry pan on your stove top. *These little guys stick if you are  not careful! In between each crepe I used a paper towel with a little corn oil to wipe down the pan. 
5) Once the pan is hot, pour a little less than 1/4 c of the batter onto the pan. Quickly tilt the pan side to side to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes (or less) and carefully flip and cook for about 30 seconds more. 
6) Once the crepe is done, fill it with your favorite topping and enjoy! We like strawberries in our crepes.


TIPS:
*If your crepes seem to be cracking or brittle, add a little more milk to the batter. 
*I have found that my egg flipping spatula works best to gently lift the edges and flip the crepe. (If you don't have one of these, you totally need to order one! They are the best!)
* Every once and a while give your batter a stir, the flour will settle to the bottom if you don't. 
* Sometimes I will add a little cinnamon or nutmeg to the batter, depending on what we are putting inside the crepes. 
What do you like to put in your crepes? 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE crepes! They're so yummy. I like nutella & strawberries or bananas in mine :) Now I'm craving them ;)

    xo,
    jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. I can't wait to try the recipe. Gluten free is wonderful. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete