Image Map

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Adventures in Motherhood: Learning Every Day

Before we had Rebekah, I knew that babies learned new things everyday...but what I did not know was that mommies learn new things everyday too!

There are so many things I have been discovering these past months. About being a mom. About myself. About what is important and what is not really important...

Eating food while it is hot is not that important... Same with eating ice cream while its frozen. Some days it feels like every time I am about to eat or drink Rebekah needs to eat or sleep or be changed. Last week I warmed up a mug of apple cider 4 times before I finally got to drink it. Daniel has been a huge help by wrapping up my dinner so it stays warm or putting my bowl of ice cream back in the freezer so it doesn't get soupy...I HATE soupy ice cream. He loves soupy ice cream ... when he was growing up his Grandma would put his ice cream in the microwave for a few seconds for him to make it soupy. 

Ok, where was I....Oh, yes. Things I have been learning! 

Did you know babies can tell when you are standing and when you are sitting when you hold them... Even when they are asleep?!...Well, I learned that lesson in motherhood right off the bat. I have learned that Rebekah prefers standing. Seriously, if bouncing/swaying a baby while standing was an Olympic event, I would win the gold medal. 

I have learned that there is nothing quite like the feeling of holding your child ... and having your hand on their diapered bottom at just the right moment to feel gas or something else come shooting out of them. Wow, I already have lots of stories about Rebekah that are about poop...but I will save those for another day. 

I did not know that my emotions would be so tied to this little girl. Her first laugh made me cry. Watching her excitement as she explores the world around her fills me with such joy. If she is grouchy...I try not to be grouchy but it doesn't always work. And when she is in pain, my heart literally hurts. It's the worst when she is in pain. Thankfully that has only happened a hand full of times in the past few months. 

Yesterday Rebekah learned to roll from her back to her tummy. It was VERY exciting!

I wonder what we will learn today? 



(no post is complete without a cute Rebekah picture, right?!
 This one is from a Christmas card photo shoot with her Auntie Wen)

4 comments:

  1. They train you well, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no greater education than Motherhood or Parenthood. She is just adorable, love the cute headband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Rebekah will teach each other many, many things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how they do learn and change so quickly.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete