Image Map

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Adventures in Life: 150th Hodgepodge!

1. Describe a typical Sunday from your childhood.
Sunday was usually a day of church, rest and football for my family...unless by brother and I were competing at a swim meet, then it was a day of chlorine, races, and waiting for races.

2. How comfortable are you with uncertainty? Explain.
I am a plan ahead kind of gal...need I explain further?! Uncertainty gives me anxiety. It's something I'm working on...

3. What have you accomplished recently that might be described as crafty, as in 'arts and crafts' crafty?  If crafty doesn't work for you, how about handy? Or both?
Oh, there is almost always a crafty project going on in our house! My most recent project - which I will be posting about next week, was painting and stenciling the room that is soon to be our new master bedroom in the basement. (If stenciling is something you are interested in stop back here next week, because I am doing a Cutting Edge Stencil giveaway!!)


4. Have you ever worked in a 'food place'? What did you take away from the experience?
I worked at Starbucks for a few months. 

And I honestly learned a lot from the experience. I learned that working in the food service industry is very hard for my personality type. While I get great joy from serving others, I take it very personally when someone is upset about the service they received. I could work a 8 hour shift and successfully serve hundreds of happy customers, but it took just one unhappy person yelling at me to totally wreck my whole week. (And people are VERY serious about their coffee, and if it's not right, they usually yell at whoever is in front of them. It's been years since I worked there, and I can still clearly remember the verbal thrashing I received from one unhappy customer.)

5. Cold turkey, talk turkey, what a turkey...in recent days, which turkey phrase or idiom best applies to you and why? Click on the word turkey if you need to read more about the meaning behind each phrase.
"What a turkey" is something my grandma used to say all the time...but I never really knew what it meant until today! 


6. If you could have any one guest join your Thanksgiving dinner table, who would it be?
Oh, gosh! This is a hard one...If I'm picking from people both living and dead, I would say my Grandma Seger. Thanksgiving has just not been the same since she passed away last year.


7. What is one thing you must accomplish today?
Meet Ree Drummon ~ The Pioneer Woman! She is doing a book signing in the Chicago-land area tonight, and I am SOOOOO excited to meet her! (More on that tomorrow!)


8.  Insert your own random thought here.
We are getting ready for a super fun vacation with my parents the week after Thanksgiving - and I can't wait! I have been counting down the days! 


11 comments:

  1. You're going to meet THE Pioneer Woman? How fun! I love her! Ooh...a vacay sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear all about it! Your stenciling project is quite impressive! Hope you'll share pics. of the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stenciling you have done! And, to meet Ree, how wonderful! I just got her latest holidays cookbook and it's great just as her other ones! Have fun! Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've been trying out the recipes in her new cookbook! How fun to actually get to meet her!! Your stenciling project is amazing! I'm afraid I would get through half the wall and get bored! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT? You're meeting the Pioneer Woman today? AWESOME!!!!!

    I'd be horrible with that stencil... it would end up sideways half way through the project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous stenciling - what a lot of work that is, but fantastic results when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that almost everyone has said church on Sunday! Your wall looks gorgeous. I hope to buy Lee Drummon's new cookbook soon. How awesome that you are going. I'm going to Florida the week after Thanksgiving so I am starting on my Christmas trees tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way your stenciling looks! It looks hard, is it?










    I love the stenciling on your wall! If I tried that, I'd have a mess. How exciting to meet The Pioneer Woman! Lucky you. And on top of that, you are going on vacation soon :)




    ReplyDelete
  8. The stenciling looks like wonderful quilt pattern. Kudoes for persevering. How exciting to get to meet Ree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your stenciling looks fabulous! I met Ree Drummond at a book signing last year. She was so lovely and genuine, plus I enjoy her cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your Starbucks experience. It never ceases to amaze me how rude some people can be. I don't understand where they get the idea that it's okay to verbally abuse people like they do. I also liked your answer to #6. My maternal grandmother was very special to me and it would be great to share a meal with her again. Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Enjoy your upcoming vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked at Starbucks when I was 7 months pregnant with our first son to try to make some Christmas money...it didn't work out for me. I didn't realize it then, but I believe it's because of exactly what you're describing here. I love to make people happy and to serve...hospitality is my thing. It really was upsetting to me when I wouldn't get it right for them. Thanks for that:) Your room is going to look AMAZING! Can't wait to see the finished room:)

    ReplyDelete