Image Map

Friday, April 5, 2013

Adventures in Crafts: Bel-Air Knock-Off Bedding

Round 2 of So You Think You're Crafty is done! Did you guess which project was mine?! 

It was the...
Can I just say that making a duvet cover is no easy task...It seemed much easier in my head than it turned out to be in real life! The style of duvet cover we both fell in love with was the Barclay Butera Interiors Bel Air duvet cover. If you click over to their site you will see that the duvet covers and pillows cost well over $500! So, off I went to the fabric store in search of material to make my knock-off. When I was shopping I found a patterned fabric I loved, and decided to make a reversible duvet cover.
Bel Air style on one side, fun "hydrangea" pattern on the other side. The hardest part was the planning (geometry refresher anyone?!) and cutting of the Bel Air style side. I sewed in snaps on the top edge and bottom flap to help keep the comforter in place. I also made 3 pillows to go with the duvet cover. 2 white with grey borders (kind of flip-flopped from the mint with white boarders in the Bel-Air bedding). And my favorite detail, the square pillow with the hydrangea flower hand sewn on the front. 


Have you ever tried to take a picture of a big thing (like a bed) in a small room?! It's not easy! Sometime in the next few weeks I will post details about how I made the duvet cover and the different pillows! 

Next week's theme is "Scraptastic"... What would you make with scraps around your house? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am more than impressed! It is so lovely and I can't wait to hear about how you did it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously impressed! Wow...I don't think I'd even try to attempt a duvet cover! Thanks for entering One Crafty Contest; good luck!

    ReplyDelete