Image Map

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Red, White, and Blue Pie

Are you looking for a easy and festive dessert for your 4th of July celebration? 
Well, here it is! 


Pie Crust - you can use a pre-made pie crust or make your own. I made my own using my Grandma Seger's pie crust recipe that is slightly salty (1 1/4 c. flour, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 c. shortening, 3 T cold water). Use your favorite gluten free crust or even a no bake graham cracker crust would taste good with this pie. 


White Layer - Whip together 8 oz of plain cream cheese, 1 c. powdered sugar, and 1 t. lemon juice. Spread on the bottom of the pre baked pie crust. Chill while you make the red and blue layer.



Red and Blue Layer - Wash and slice 1 c. strawberries and 1 c. blueberries.
Combine 2 c. water, 1 c. sugar, 4 T. corn starch in a pot, stir constantly, and bring to a boil.
 Once it is boiling, add 1/2 a package of strawberry Jell-O
 Stir and let boil for 2 minutes.
 Turn off heat and add berries.
 Carefully pour over white layer and refrigerate for 2+ hours, or until the Jell-o is set.
Slice and serve!
What is your favorite 4th of July dessert? 

13 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! We're headed to the lake, but I think I have room in our little camper frig for this little pie. thanks for sharing!
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very pretty pie, looks delicious too! Sounds like a recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! Looks so yummy!!!
    I'd like to invite you to link up with my Super Link Party-
    http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/06/super-link-party-7.html
    I hope to see you there! :-)
    ~Susie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy and fresh! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I just tried to leave a reply, and my computer went screwy. Anyway, Hi from Cozy Corner Crochets. I found your link on Chicken Scratch. This pie sounds so simple and tasty, very different from other pies. Do you have a recipe for a gluten free crust? I suppose you could even do without the crust since the cream cheese would firm up. Happy Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this sounds seriously yummy and it looks beautiful too! I hope you'll add this to my Patriotic Project Parade. www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I'd hate to cut into it!

    Thanks for linking up at What's Cluckin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks good! My mouth is watering...I have to make it!
    Thank you for linking up to our Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an amazing looking pie...I wish I could reach right into my computer and grab a piece:-) Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete