Image Map

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adventures in Gluten Free Cooking: Apple & Oat Muffins

At the beginning of March I shared this recipe on My Freshly Brewed Life for Barbie's series Spring In My Step. If you are a new follower since then, you may no have seen it! You can find it {here}, but I also want to add it to my list of GF recipes I keep here. See up there the tab for GF Recipes! You can click there to find a list of all the recipes I have posted here!


Apple & Oat Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1/3 c. white rice flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch
1/3 c. corn starch
1/3 c. white corn flour
1/4 t. xanthan gum
1/3 c. oats
2 T baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 c vegetable oil
1/2 c milk
1/3 c. apple butter (or 1/3 c apple butter + 1 T cinnamon)
1 apple pealed and chopped


Substitute options: Omit the first 5 ingredients on the list and subsitute with 1 1/3 c. all purpose flour,whole wheat flour or your favorite GF flour mix. Also, to make this recipe egg free, omit the egg and replace with 3 T water + 1 T ground flax seed.  


Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Measure and mix well all dry ingredients. 
Step 3: Peal and chop apple into about 1 inch chunks 
Step 4: Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. 
Quick pause for a note about apple butter. I love the stuff! Daniel's grandparents keep us well supplied with the real deal made in a copper kettle in West Virginia. I like to use it in baking as a substitute for oil. If you don't have any on hand, you can totally substitute apple sauce with some cinnamon added in. 
Step 5: Spoon batter into a lined muffin tin. 
Step 6: Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. 
Step 7: Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment